Tuesday 2 December 2014

Kingfisher at Hubbards Hills

I had to go to Louth, a Lincolnshire Wolds Market town today so took Jet for a walk through Hubbards Hills.  It was not the most pleasant of days and the rain was starting to come down heavily as we set off on our walk along the River Ludd though the parkland section of the walk.  I was surprised but delighted to spot a kingfisher sitting on some metal piping across the river.  I stopped and then moved forward slowly and was rewarded with excellent close views of the bird, before it sped off, sapphire-like along the river ahead of me.  Imagine my surprise, then, when a hundred yards later I again caught excellent close views of the bird.  This was repeated several more times over the next half mile or so of river.  What a treat.  It was also good to hear both jay and green woodpecker calling and to see some of the beeches still sporting Autumn colour.

The images below are not from today but are from the archives.

To view large, click on an image.
Kingfisher
Jay in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment