Thursday 4 May 2017

A Return Visit to the Louth Canal

I made a second visit to the Louth Canal to retake some pictures of Willows Lock as I had not been entirely happy with those from last week.  The weather was much brighter today and, despite the easterly wind we have been suffering from lately, it felt warm and pleasant.  This time I parked on the roadside at the delightfully named Ticklepenny Lock and wandered along the canal side to Willows Lock.  I was pleased to spot both my first brimstone butterfly of the year and my fist whitethroat.  I got chatting to two fly fishermen who were prospecting for natural brown trout that can be found in the canal, some, apparently weighing in at a pound or two.  They had had no luck; they thought that the water was too low.  They did mention a pair of grey wagtails feeding chicks at the lock though.  

After taking some more shots of the lock itself, I changed to my 100-400 lens to try for the grey wagtails.  Having watched them fror a while from above I realised that they were feeding chicks in a hole in the brick wall on my side of the canal.  Just downstream of the lock I scrambled down through the nettles and settled myself low down on the bank hidden by the vegetation - and stung by it.  I didn't have to wait long before the wagtails continued their feeding activities unfazed by my presence.

A very pleasant morning.

To view large, please click on an image.
















No comments:

Post a Comment