Saturday 8 June 2013

Messingham Sand Quarry and Watt's Wood.

Having eventually unpacked and recovered from the Italy Road Trip and been to Edinburgh to help Thomas move back home, It was time to get out photographing and wildlife watching again.  I decided to catch up with the insects and so set off early to Messingham.  The weather forecast was for cloud over the coast but sunny inland.  For a while it did brighten up as I approached Scunthorpe but it very quickly clouded over again and remained overcast and cool all day.  As I arrived at the reserve I became aware of some activity on the road infront of me and, on slowing the car, I was delighted to see a stoat chasing a rabbit.  Although I have read about this I have never seen it before.  I don't suppose the rabbit was too delighted.  Above the car park two buzzards wheeled overhead and I could hear willow and sedge warblers calling.  For most of my time there I was able to hear two cuckoos loudly calling against each other, the calls echoing around the reserve.  Common terns were in residence on the nest platform in the large lake and a great crested grebe swam near by.  As in previous years meadow saxifrage was carpetting the large second meadow.  The petty whin in the exclosures was in flower and I was pleased to glimpse another stoat on the path in front of me; too brief for photography, however.
One observation of note was the total lack of either dragonflies or butterflies.  Not only are the seasons way behind, but the weather was cool and cloudy; no sun no dragons!!  I did see plenty of blue-tailed and azure blue damselflies, however, but even these were not active.  Hawthron or May Blossom is just coming into flower; in June!!
As I wandered through the wood I had a call from wildlife photography pal Roger Hatcliffe who had just arrived and when we met up we decided to move on to Watt's Wood near Lincoln in the hope that the weather would be better and we might catch up with some broad bodied chasers and local photographer Mark Johnson.
As we arrived it became clear that the weather was going to be no better.  We did find Mark but sadly no dragonflies at all.  As last year, though, the meadows were thick with buttercups and ox-eye daisies, a magnificent sight.
Azure Damselfly

An azure damselfly tries to hide from the camera.

Hawthorn blossom.

Red hawthorn blossom.

Ox-eye daisy n a sea of buttercups.

Home for a snail.

Spruce (I think!)

No comments:

Post a Comment