Tuesday 4 February 2020

Rare Black-Throated Thrush in Grimsby.

Last Friday,31st January,  I became aware that a very rare black-throated thrush had been seen on grass area in front of the Grimsby Institute.  I heard that it was still there on Saturday and Sunday, but I was unable to get there despite it only being 10 minutes walk away.  However, late on Monday morning I was able to join the other birders there and delighted to find that it was still around.  It didn't seem at all phased by being by the side of a busy road with a constant passage of studens going to and fro, never mind a dozen birders aremed with binoculars, telescopes and cameras.  While I was there it happily divided its time between roosting in a tree and feeding on the ground and I am pleased to say I managed to get some acceptable images.

Black-Throated Thrush is a rare visitor to our shores and is a first record for Lincolnshire.  It is the size and shape of our blackbird or thrush with plain brownish-grey upperparts with pale belly and black throat.  This bird is a first winter male and so not quite so clearly marked, but a lovely bird nonetheless.  It breeds in Siberian taiga and very occasionally strays into Western Europe, especially in late autumn and winter.

To view large, please click on an image.


No comments:

Post a Comment