Monday 6 June 2022

A Cold and Grey Day at Saltfleetby/Theddlethorpe compensated for by Roe Deer and Beautiful Orchids.

 Parking at Paradise Lagoon, I gathered 'scope and binoculars and walked up onto the bank overlooking the lagoon and the blistering easterly wind off the sea cut straight through me.  I was pleased of full winter gear.  My original plan had been to search for butterflies but the cold and sunless weather dictated otherwise, so I opted to concentrate on birds for the day.  As it happened, a few brave butterflies did put in an appearance.  The main compensation for such a cold day, however was the beautiful orchids and the surprisingly confiding roe deer buck. The bank surrounding Paradise Lagoon affords expansive views of Saltfleet Haven and the saltmarsh extending southwards towards Mablethorpe.  Although there was nothing outstanding on the lagoon I was pleased with avocet, one bird  sitting on eggs.  It was also pleasing to see good numbers of house martins, looking as if they were nesting on the buildings of Gowts Farm.

I moved on to the more sheltered car park at Rimac where I had my lunch before gearing up again and heading out onto the reserve.  I left the 'scope in the car and took the camera, optimistically ready for dragonflies and butterflies.  I didn't see a single dragon but a few butterflies did show themselves: red admiral 1, small heath 2, speckled wood 1 and small tortoiseshell 2.  I began by checking a spot where I have seen bee orchids before but there were none to be seen.  On the freshwater marsh there were large numbers of southern marsh orchids.  Although I didn't see any common spotted there were some robust specimens which must have been hybrids between the two.  I had heard that emperor dragonflies were beginning to emerge from the pond but they were conspicuous by their absence.  Yellow flag irises were plentiful all down the freshwater marsh but, like the orchids, they were past their best.  I always think of flag irises and the marsh orchid swarm here as being in their prime for my birthday later in June.  This, I feel, is more evidence of climate change; it is not the first time I have noticed that flowers are appearing earlier in the year.  The science of phenology studies this timing of cyclic and seasonal natural phenomena, especially in relation to climate and plant and animal life.  According to a Guardian article from 2nd February 2022, scientists have discovered that plants are flowering a month earlier in the UK as the climate heats up. ( Link here)

As I walked past the pond dipping platform, following the easy access path on my usual dragonfly route, I was amazed to see a large new lagoon, presumably created as part of the Dynamic Dunescape project.  Although there was not a lot on it, views were good of oystercatcher, little egret and greylag geese with large goslings.  Reaching the southern end of the easy access trail I continued south through the dunes.  I was delighted to hear a cuckoo calling; my first of the year.  There were good numbers of singing chiffchaff and I managed a poor photograph of one carrying food.  Unfortunately it was not singing, rather calling with a muted 'huitt' voice. Slightly further on I reached some freshwater pools where I have found four spotted chaser dragonflies before, but again no luck.  I did, however, get excellent views of a confiding roe deer buck before leaving the dunes for the edge of the saltmarsh/beach.  Walking north past the old tank on the beach I followed the path that skirts the old dunes/freshwater marsh and the salt marsh, which looks out to the new dunes and beach beyond.  Pyramidal orchids were plentiful down here and I paused to photograph a couple despite not carrying my 'flower' lens. 

Getting back to the car, I was amazed at how quickly the time had flown.  I just had time to call in at Seaview to check out the new washes there and a final check on Paradise to look for the greenshank I had heard was there.

An excellent if chilly day.

To view large, please click on an image.

Pyramidal Orchid
Roe deer
Roe deer
Southern Marsh Orchid
Southern Marsh Orchid
Southern Marsh Orchid
Chiffchaff carrying food
Chiffchaff carrying food
Yellow flag iris
Yellow flag iris

No comments:

Post a Comment