Saturday 4 June 2022

Local Patch Walks

 We left the cemetery scambled under the fallen tree and out into the field beyond.  We were sheltered from the brisk easterly wind here and it was suddenly warm.  It had been a gloomy morning but eventually cleared from the east, so we grabbed a quick lunch, and headed out.  We followed my usual route around the Horsefield, at one point Heather taking time out to do some drawing.  I was pleased to find my first large skipper of the year.  I also found a lattice heath moth and the previous day on an early morning walk around here with friends I found a cinnabar moth.  I was well-pleased with this.  I regularly come across cinnabar moth caterpillars on the ragwort later in the summer but rarely find the adult moth.  Wild roses are out now, my favourite, the dog rose looking spectacular.  We also have many-flowered rose, especially in the burial ground, and it fills the air with delicious scent.  Approaching the crematorium there is a pile of spoil from extending the car park and it is now covered in amazing flowers, especially drifts of another of my favourites: ox-eye daisy.  I love to see swathes of this fabulous flower in summer.  The burial ground was quiet but I did find another 3 speckled woods, one in absolutely pristine condition.

To view large, please click on an image.

Dog rose
Large skipper
Large skipper
Many-flowered rose
Lattice Heath
Lattice Heath
Ox-eye Daisy
Ox-eye Daisy
Ox-eye Daisy
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment