Monday 1 May 2023

Shelter From the Storm

 As soon as I entered the cemetery I could hear the local chiffchaffs calling. Again they are here in good numbers. It was not long before I heard the rich mellow tones of a blackcap coming from the depths of some scrub and later, the very similar song of a  garden warbler from the woodland. I left the cemetery early via one of the 'illegal' holes in the fence and walked round the outside and crossed the 'plank bridge' over Gooseman's Drain, searching, unsuccessfully for butterflies. Unsuccessful, perhaps, as black clouds were drifting in from the north east. Once over Gooseman's Drain I was delighted to hear and have good views of my first of at least three whitethroats. I was too slow with the camera though, although returning later I had some success. Walking along the thick bramble hedge, good for birds and butterflies, I was overtaken by my first shower. Having not bothered with a coat as I had trusted the weather forecast, I scuttled along to shelter under the thick hawthorn hedge at the end. It soon passed over and I emerged only to be caught by a second shower and had to shelter again. There was plenty of activitiy from the whitethroats, though and I was pleased to capture some images. On my way home I was delighted to come across two female roe deer in the woodland burial ground. An excellent morning.

Blackbird
Chiffchaff
Roe Deer
Whitethroat
Whitethroat
Whitethroat
Whitethroat
Whitethroat
Yellowhammer

No comments:

Post a Comment