Sunday 30 April 2023

Freshney Valley Dog Walking

 We used the need to take Jet for a walk as an excuse to visit one of our favourite local sites: The River Freshney and Town's Holt. As soon as we left the road we could hear the chiffchaffs calling loudly and behind them one or two very vocal wrens. Chiffchaffs seem to have arrived in good numbers this year as they are all over the place. Blackcaps soon joined the chorus and I was pleased to be able to secure some shots. Sedge warblers as usual were vocal and I was pleased to be able to pinpoint at least one reed warbler; both sound very similar. Two cetti's were singing their explosive song, but, as usual, they were not to be seen. Surprisingly I only saw three butterflies: a distant white that I was unable to identify and two speckled woods, one of which posed perfectly. I was delighted to find my first whitethroat of the year, although it didn't stay for photographs, either that or I was too slow!

Blackbird collecting earthworms
Blackcap
Speckled Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment