Friday 2 April 2021

A Walk Around the Patch

 After a grey morning on Good Friday the came out briefly and it turned pleasant despite the chilly NE breeze.  My route took me across the Horsefield, over Peaks Tunnel and along the farm tracks looking for wheatear, to no avail.  A quick circuit round the dead wood and then I headed back over the Horsefield by which time the sun had gone in again and any insects had disappeared.  The blackthorn looked stunning, however, and the blossom has exploded over the last few days.  While the sun was out, so were butterflies and I found 6 small tortoiseshells.  By this time last year I had found comma and speckled wood on the patch, but no luck today.  I heard chiffchaff and spotted a willow warbler and enjoyed watching the buzzard pair displaying overhead and then heading towards town.  Red Dead Nettle is now in flower.

To view large, please click on an image.






No comments:

Post a Comment