Friday 21 February 2014

An Abundance of Birds at Old Moor RSPB Reserve.

I hadn't met up with friend and fellow bird photographer for some time so decided to meet up at Old Moor RSP reserve in the Dearne Valley of Yorkshire, one of Richard's local patches and a reasonable drive for me.  While waiting for Richard I sat in the car park enjoying the large numbers of birds visiting the feeders including a siskin which was encouraging.  I should have had the camera out, because that was the only one I saw all day.  Ah well.....!!!!  We headed straight for the garden feeding station hoping for images of the local sparrowhawk.  Although it made a couple of passes, though, it didn't settle.... ah well again!  Not a problem though as there were plenty of other wonderful birds about including superb bullfinches and large numbers of my favourite duck, the wigeon.  I love to hear the whistle of these birds echo across the water.  Yet another excellent day.

All images taken with Canon 7D and 500mm lens, with occasional use of 1.4 converter.

To view large, click on an image. 
Bullfinch
Bullfinch
Bullfinch
Bullfinch
Gadwall
Mahem at the feeders.

Squabling greenfinches
Greenfinch
Greylag
Greylag
Greater Spotted Woodpecker.
Greater Woodpecker
Long Tailed Tit
Reedbunting
Teal
Teal
Tree Sparrow.
Tufted Duck
Tufted Duck
Wigeon
Wren
Yellowhammer

No comments:

Post a Comment