Tuesday 17 December 2019

First Session at the Winter Feeding Station.

On my second visit to top up the feeders at the feeding station, I noticed that already quite a few birds were coming down to feed.  In view of this I decided to take the camera on today's visit and sit to see what was coming down and also have another go with the new lens and camera body.  There were large numbers of tits backwards and forwards all the time: blue, great, coal and a few long tailed tits.  At one point they all scattered in a whir of wings and a superb male sparrowhawk streaked through the wood in front of the hide. If it is hunting round the feeders I may get some photographs this winter.  Another bird of interest spotted when I set the hide up again a fortnight ago was a tawny owl which I think that I disturbed in the holly just behind the hide.  I must keep my eye open to see if I can discover where it's roosting.

I am delighted with the new equipment; the 100-400 even with the 1.4 converter is very sharp.  As the weather was dull I had to use ISO 3200 which I wouldn't have contemplated with the old canon 7D but the Fuji coped admirably.  There was some noise but this was easily corrected in Lightroom.

Other birds that visited today were a robin, a few chaffinches and a single tree creeper which I took some shots of but unfortunately it is obscured slightly by an out of focus twig.
To view large, pleas click on an image.









No comments:

Post a Comment