Tuesday 13 July 2021

Orchid Time in the Cemetery

 I have been wanting to check out the Horsefield ever since we returned from holiday on Saturday but the weather has been persistently wet and gloomy.  friend, however, told me there were pyramidal orchids flowering in the cemetery so, as it was only 5 minutes away, I went for a walk to check them out.  I found them straight away growing at the edge of the long grass close to where the white helleborines are; I counted 7 altogether, all still fairly fresh.  They were on surprisingly long stems though, perhaps because they were growing in the shade.  I continued my walk with a circuit of the woodland burial ground; how overgrown has this become.  I find it difficult to believe that the council have not had the flail in.  Despite the gloom it was reasonably warm and there were a few butterflies on the wing: large white, speckled wood and ringlets.  There were also quite a few swifts and swallows swooping low into the ride hunting insects.  Just before leaving the burial ground I photographed a grey squirrel that allowed me to walk right up to it.  No crop needed even with the macro.

To view large, please click on a thumbnail.






No comments:

Post a Comment