Thursday 23 April 2015

Spring Explodes

Having failed with Green Hairstreaks on the Lincolnshire coast on Tuesday and been busy at home otherwise, I decided to make the most of the beautiful weather and go out this evening.  I wanted to catch up with Spring at Scallows and so headed there.  This last week Spring has exploded and John at Scallows remarked that you could even see the leaves growing.  Roadsides were now clothed in green, cherry blossom was frothily decorating the trees in town and out in the Wolds blackthorn was a mass of white blossom and oil seed rape is blanketing the fields with vibrant yellow. Wood anemones are now at their height and bluebells just coming into flower.  Skies have been bright cerulean blue and contrasted with the fresh greens of the hedgerows and woods.  Whilst at Scallows, I concentrated on macro shots or micro landscapes with my degree work in mind.

To view large, please click on an image:
Bark
Bark
Bark
New beech leaves
Field Maple
Miniature forest
White slime mould.
Scallows
The wood in evening light
The wood in evening light
Sycamore
Wood
Wood
From Scallows I decided to drive up above the village to Top Yard to look for the barn owl that is roosting in the barn there.  On the way up I was attracted by this single tree with the rape in the foreground.

Up at the barn I sat in the car and waited, hopefully for the barn owl to appear.  It didn't but suddenly I realised that there was a little owl sitting on the roof.  Thinking that it was passing through I grabbed some insurance shots and then changed lenses.  When I looked up it had gone.  Resigned, I had settled back to my vigil for the barn owl when the little owl flew out of the barn and into the tree, back into the barn and then out to settle on an old water pipe, allowing for more shots.  I wonder if it has also taken up residence?  Are they sharing or has the barn owl left?  More watching is needed, but an exciting situation.


On the way home I stopped for a couple of sunset shots.  A smashing end to a cracking evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment