Friday 24 April 2015

Wheatears at Bonby and Green Hairstreak and Donna Nook

As I shall be away quite a bit in the coming weeks, I wanted to catch up with the wheatears and yellow wagtails at Bonby if at all possible, so I set off early and arrived about 7.00 am.  Yet again I reveled in the peace and quiet of this place, the only sounds those of the wind and the birds.  As usual lapwings were wheeling and tumbling in the air as they preformed their aerobatic display flights all the while calling 'peewit' onomatopoeiacally ; skylarks and meadow pipits sang loudly, hanging in the air as if suspended on a wire.  Yellow hammers and reed buntings were plentiful and sat readily in the tops of bushes and on fence points loudly proclaiming their territory and advertising for mates with song.  Mallard, shoveler and avocet were busy on the water flashes, while rooks and crows were feeding on the meadows.  When I first arrive a buzzard flapped lazily off.  I managed to catch up with a couple of wheatears but the yellow wagtails that are present continued to be elusive.

To view large, please click on an image:
Meadow Pipit
Meadow Pipit
Reed Bunting
Reed Bunting
Wheatear
Wheatear
Yellowhammer
Yellowhammer
Yellowhammer
Whilst at Bonby, I received a message from Roger that he had found the green hairstreaks at Donna Nook on the Lincolnshire Coast so, having found the wheatears I set out on the drive over, fortunate it was in a homeward direction, although about 20 miles beyond.  These were getting very expensive green hairstreaks.  When I arrived I found Roger with Debbie and Jill, two other wildlife photography friends and also the green hairstreaks, well one at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment