Friday 22 May 2020

A Disappointing Visit to Buck Beck Ponds

A Disappointing Visit to Buck Beck Ponds

As it was still warm yesterday afternoon I made a late decision to visit an edgeland pond that has regularly produced good plants, butterflies, damselflies and large dragonflies.  I was devastated, therefore, when I arrived and saw that it had been totally encroached upon by the industrial estate behind it.  It has always been an edgeland site being behind Tesco's as it is and with one or two car dealerships there.  The industrial estate is greatly expanded, however, and a car storage compound with fencing has been constructed right up to it.  Behind the pond there used to be a large hawthorn/blackthorn hedge which provided shelter and infront of hit a small meadow/beach area.  The hedge and beach have now gone, replace by a fence and earth back right up to the waters edge making access to that side difficult if not impossible.

However, after sitting and watching for a while I consoled my self with the fact that some of the flowers were still there: ragged robin, yellow flag and ox-eye daisies just coming into flower.  There were also  azure damselflies and the occasional large red on the wing. On checking my notes when I got home I notice that I haven't photographed the large dragons until into June so I will go back for a look in a couple of weeks.
To view large, please click on a thumbnail. 
Azure Damselfly
Azure Damselfly
Azure Damselfly
Azure Damselfly
Azure Damselfly
Large Red Damselfly
Large Red Damselfly
Large Red Damselfly
Ragged Robin
Yellow Flag Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment