Wednesday 13 May 2020

Searching for Sedge Warblers and Yellow Wagtails

An unsuccessful Search for Birds and Discovering Rhododendrons

Keen to try and fine the yellow Wagtails I had been told about yesterday, I was up early, fast broken and out by 8.00.  It was a cold morning (8C) and a morning of mixed sun and cloud, turning into a fine day even if a chilly breeze.

I followed the usual route over to the Horsfield and headed fairly quickly to the far side of Peaks Tunnel in order to look for the wagtails, but without success.  I did have excellent views of a brown hare, though, on the spring wheat/barley by the Dead Wood.  It sat upright and still all the while I watched it, but when I returned my gaze after turning to check for wagtails, it had vanished.  It was as if it sensed me taking my gaze from it and took the opportunity to move.  It was either very rapid or had hunkered down so I couldn't see it.

I continued on through Weelsby Woods to search the scrub beyond, perfect territory for sedge warblers.  Again, to no avail.  I was pleased to find some King Alfred's Cakes or Cramp Ball Fungus, once used for tinder.  Returning through the woods I found rhododendron coming into flower and providing a real splash of colour spotlit by the sun.  Leaving The Dead Wood, I was pleased to get really good views of a buzzard hunting over the field and managed pleasing images as it hovered.

Today I returned by the Horsefield spotting the blackcap pair in the same location by the bank of Gooseman's Drain.  I am sure that they must be nesting here but I have not heard the male singing and have yet to get anything like decent views.

To view large, please click on an image
King Alfred' Cakes.  
Rhododendron
Rhododendron
Rhododendron
Scrub
Scrub
Scrub
Sedge Warbler in full song
Scrub
The Woods
The Woods
The Woods
The Woods
The Woods
The Woods
The Woods
The Woods
The Woods
The Woods
The Woods
The Woods
The Woods
The Woods
Woodland Panorama
The Woods
The site of Peaks Farm in the distance
Hunting Buzzard
Yellow Wagtail
The Hollow Ash, Peaks Farm in the distance
The Hollow Ash
The Edge of the Woodland Burial Ground.  Blackcap Territory

No comments:

Post a Comment