Friday 25 April 2014

Black-necked Grebe at The Fitties.

I had heard on the grapevine that there was a rarity, a black-necked grebe, on the lagoon behind the Humber Mouth Yacht Club on the Humberston Fitties.  Despite it being a misty and gloomy morning, which later turned to heavy rain, I decided to drive down to see if I could see it.  As soon as I arrived I spotted it and settled down using the car as a hide to try for photographs.  Black-necked Grebes are stunning birds; slightly smaller than the common little grebe, but darker, with chestnut underparts, black head, neck and chest, a fan of yellow feathers on the cheek and a startling red eye.  In this country they generally only breed in Scotland so this bird is presumably passing through.  Also present were several mute swans and grey lag gees, herring and black-headed gulls and mallard.  I was pleased to be able to get photographs, although not the best quality as it remained fairly distant and the light was very poor.  I intend to return early tomorrow morning when the forecast says it will be fine.  Fingers crossed.

To view large, click on an image.


Black-necked Grebe
Black-necked Grebe
Grey Lag

No comments:

Post a Comment