Tuesday 20 May 2014

A Trio of Lincolnshire Reserves.

Another good day of weather today so I set out early to try for the rare marsh fritillary butterflies that I knew to be in Little Scrubs meadow at Chambers Farm Wood.  This is the only Lincolnshire site for these superb insects, their stronghold being in the south west.  They have been introduced to Chambers and I had heard that there been been a good emergence over the previous week with approximately 40 insects.  As soon as I walked into the meadow I saw my first insect so things looked good.  Although warm it was slightly overcast and, in fact, there was a sudden heavy shower, so the butterflies were not unduly active and some were nicely perched for photography.  Having found one, it was a case of perseverance: waiting for the sun to appear so that it opened its wings, although I much prefer the underwing of these insects.  Whilst here I wandered into the wood to look for the greater butterfly orchids that I knew to occur here.  I did find them but, unfortunately, they were still only in bud.  The images shown are from two years ago.

To view large, click on an image.
Marsh Fritillary
Marsh Fritillary
Marsh Fritillary
Marsh Fritillary
Marsh Fritillary
Greater Butterfly Orchid
Greater Butterfly Orchid
Greater Butterfly Orchid
 As the heavens opened, I beat a hasty retreat to the car where I had a chat with photography friends Jill Hall and her daughter Debbie before heading on to the nearby Snakeholme Pit reserve managed by Butterfly Conservation.  It was the first time I had visited this small reserve with its meadow and pond.  Sadly there was litte activity, perhaps as it was soon after the rain, so I elected to return home via Watts Wood reserve to see if I could photograph the male broad bodied chaser that I knew to be there.  Although I did eventually see it, it quickly moved on and the weather turned stubbornly overcast.  I did secure some images of an unsuccessful Brimstone mating, however.  The female was vibrating all over in an effort to stimulate the male who just couldn't seem to get it right!!
More than satisfied with my marsh fritillary images, it was time to return home.
Brimstone
Receptive female Brimstone with male approaching.
Receptive female Brimstone with male approaching.
Female Brimstone displaying in an attempt to attract the male.
Large red damselfly

No comments:

Post a Comment