Monday 1 February 2016

A Festival of Grebes at Cleethorpes

Having seen pictures of the slavonian grebes at Cleethorpes Country Park that had been posted over the weekend, I decided that I would go and have a look for myself despite the very blustery conditions left over from Storm Henry .  I had seen, although not photographed these magnificent birds in their dazzling summer plumage while up in the Cairngorm mountains of Scotland.  Knowing that in winter plumage grebes tend to be quite drab, I was not over excited, but how wrong could I be!  When I arrived the pair of birds were easy to find; I just had to fine the photographers!!!  The birds were incredibly confiding, at times coming too close and what stunning birds they were, even in their winter colours.  A startling red eye and eye stripe to the bill and very attractive black and white feathering.  Having filled my first memory card, I then moved on to look for and photograph the red-necked grebe that was present.  This bird also proved to be confiding and, although in summer plumage it is as stunning as the slavonian grebe, in winter garb it was typically fairly drab; good to see all the same.  An excellent morning.

To view large, please click on an image
Red-necked Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
Slavonian Grebe
Slavonian Grebe
Slavonian Grebe
Slavonian Grebe
Slavonian Grebe

No comments:

Post a Comment