Tuesday 30 July 2019

Painted Ladies in Butterfly Conservation Count on the Horsefield

It had been a warm and sunny morning and I had completed a Butterfly Conservation count in the garden in the morning.  As the weather seemed set fair I decided to do one in the Horsefield and hoped for some painted ladies.  Typically, as I reached my count area, the sun went in.  Fortunately it came out again on and off until it finally gave up the fight with the cloud.  Despite this there were large numbers of butterflies on the wing including 3 painted ladies and I found 4 more on a buddleia with several peacocks by the crematorium on my way back.  We are lucky this year as there is a large influx of these migratory insects.

Garden Count:
Large White 4
Gatekeeper 2
Peacock 1
Holly Blue 2
Small Skipper 1

Horsefield Count:
Large White 13
Tortoiseshel 1
Gatekeeper (including a mating pair) 15
Ringlet 7
Green Veined White  1
Small Skipper 6
Meadow Brown 8
Small Copper 1
Painted Lady 3
Comma 1
Mother Shipton's Moth 2

As I spent some of the time doing the count I did not photograph as many as I would normally have done.
Large White

Painted Lady

Painted Lady

Painted Lady

Peacock

Peacock

Small Skipper










No comments:

Post a Comment