Sunday 21 August 2022

A Quick but Profitable Visit to the Humber Bank

I decided on a quick visit to Winters and the Humber Bank today to try out my new phone adapter with my 'scope.  This would appear to be a work in progress as does the camera adapter; as yet I am not convinced and will be sticking to the camera.  However, it turned out to be an excellent visit.  Winters turned out to be quiet, not just on numbers but on sound as well as the flock of grey lags were absent and there were no black-tailed godwits.  I was pleased to find a pristine willow warbler, though, perhaps one of this year's yong.

On a bit of a flyer, I drove up to Skitter Ness where I ran into Steve Routledge and Graham Catley who had found a wood sanpriper in the beck outflow.  There were also a few Icelandic Black-Tailed Godwit and some Redshank here.  

Again, moving on fairly quickly I drove to the hide at Killingholme Haven Pits where I spent half an hour.  There was the usual very large flock of Black-Tailed Godwits but at the far side of the pit so too far away for  camera photography but I did try a shot with the scope as well as a digiscoped video clip.  As well as the blackwith there were avocets redhsank and curlew among others.  The bubbling sound and plaintive call of the curlews echoed across the pits from time to time, a wonderful, magical sound.

To view large, please click on an image.

Distant Black-Tailed Godwit digiscoped.
Redshank
Redshank

Digiscoped video clip of roosting Black-Tailed Godwit.

No comments:

Post a Comment