Wednesday 7 August 2024

Breakfast and Birds

 With a sigh of contentment I sat back from my empty plate after demolishing my full English. Parked up earlier at Anthony's Bank Car Park, Heather and I had plenty of time to wander down to Brighton Slip for breakfast at The Helm. It was a perfect morning: warm and sunny without being too hot and we had just caught high tide. Perfect for a bit of bird watching. Although we only had a couple of hours, including breakfast, I recorded nearly 30 species. I was surprised at the number of starlings there were about and there was even a spot of murmurating. We shall have to keep our eyes open in the autumn. Following breakfast, wandering along the prom, the tide had started to go out and the birds to disperse from their roost sites. It is always exciting to see flocks of waders whirling in the sky making stunning patterns as they fly in formation showing first their dark backs and then silver underparts. One flock flew in and landed close to us; all bar-tailed godwits in magnificent summer plumage.



No comments:

Post a Comment