Friday 8 May 2020

Horsefield Meanderings

Hoping for Butterflies on the Horsefield

Again it was a superb day of weather: hot with wind from the south west and I only needed to wear a teeshirt.  As I crossed Gooseman's Drain I noticed that the tadpoles were still there despite it being merely a shallow muddy trickle.  Hopefully there will continue to be enough water for them to complete their metamorphosis.  Once over the drain and into the Horsefield it was obvious that hawthorn has now taken over from blackthorn blossom.  It is thick in the hedgerows and this is really a May Blossom Year unlike some years when it has not flowered until June.

With it being so warm I was hoping to see more butterflies but in that I was disappointed.  A few tired peacock's and tortoiseshells and some large whites and later just before the end of my walk when I came across several male orange tips settling on a patch of ladies smock or cuckoo flower.  I was surprised as I had seen both holly blue and speckled wood in the garden earlier in the day.

I was delighted to find that the hedgerow crows now had chicks; I could see their scrawny necks rising above the edge of the nest.  Increasing numbers of flowers were coming into bloom now and I include them in the list below.  By the earth bank alongside the drain I came across a pair (Three?) whitethroats chasing each other for an extended period; courtship behaviour I mused.

Birds

  • House sparrow
  • Starling
  • Crow
  • Robin
  • Whitethroat
  • Linnet
  • Skylark
  • Blackbird
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Song thrush
  • Willow Warbler
  • Chaffinch
  • Jackdaw
  • Yellowhammer
  • Long Tailed Tit
  • Blue Tit
  • Chiffchaff
  • Great Tit
Flora
  • Red Campion
  • Eyebright
  • May Blossom
  • Cow Parsley
  • Dandelion
  • Earth Nut/Pignut
  • Speedwell
  • Buttercup sp.
  • Red Clover
  • Hawksbeard
  • Ribwort Plantain
  • Greater Plantain
  • Tufted Vetch
  • Ladies Smock
Butterflies
  • Large White
  • Peacock
  • Small Tortoiseshell
  • Orange Tip
Cow Parsley
Hawthorn Blossom
Red Campion
Hawthorn Blossom
Large White
Ribwort Plantain
Orange Tip

No comments:

Post a Comment