Tuesday 11 June 2013

The Hunt For Dragons Continues.

Yet again the day dawned overcast and cool, but as I was still determined to photograph my first dragonfly of the season, and as it promised later sun, I decided on a trip to the Saltfleetby/Theddlethorpe Dunes NNR.  Roger Hatcliffe had also found lots of wall brown butterflies here as well.  I packed up some lunch and drove down to the Rimac entrance where I parked up and ate my lunch sitting in the car out of the chill wind ;-( !
Lunch over I wandered down through the dunes finding very little.  There were only small numbers of marsh orchids now where in years gone by they used to cover an area the size of a football pitch so thick it wasn't possible to walk through them.  The marsh also seems much drier.  As I neared the more southerly ponds the sun began to appear and it warmed up.  Immediately a few butterflies put in an appearance: walls, common blues and small heaths.  Unfortunately they were not very cooperative and I didn't manage any photographs. Once at the ponds, however, there was plentiful activity with four spotted chasers everywhere, displaying mating and ovipositing.  There were also one or two pairs on hairy dragonflies on the wing and some damselflies, especially large reds.  A cuckoo was calling loudly and I enjoyed superb views of a hunting marsh harrier.  On the way back to the car I walked via the pond and marsh near to the car park and was delighted to find some early marsh orchids in with the southerns.

An excellent day.  I always enjoy a trip to Rimac; a special place.
Early Marsh Orchid.

Four Spotted Chaser.

Four Spotted Chaser.

Large Red Damselfly.


No comments:

Post a Comment