Friday 21 June 2019

Lake District, June 2019. Day 3

The day dawned cloudless but with a coolth; there was a chill breeze blowing from the west.  We pottered lazily for a while until late morning when we headed to Arnside and up to the Knott car park where we enjoyed an early sandwich lunch. 
We took the low path from the car park leading, eventually, to Siverdale.  Shortly  however we took a left turn which headed uphill more steeply than I intend as Heather is suffering with her knees and I wasn't sure how much steep ground my fitness, or lack thereof, would allow.  I actually surprised myself as I felt quite strong again.  I have been noticing for a week or so now, how much better I am feeling since the cardioversion. Before long we reached a couple of benches where Heather chose to sit and draw while I wandered the hillside and up towards the summit.  My usual hunting ground of the steep slopes facing the Kent estuary were facing the cool westerly breeze and not much was to be found here  although my first two sightings were of grayling.  A good start, although, as usual, they would only settle on the gravel with wings closed, but I did manage a few images.  The best hunting ground today  though was beyond the trees backing the viewpoint where the scrubby meadows were sheltered and warm.  There were large numbers of small pearl bordered fritillary with plenty of small heaths.  I managed to photograph a superb brown argus but missed a speckled wood and female common blue.  Another butterfly hunter told me that high brown fritillary had been found recently but there were none about today.
Eventually I found my way back to Heather and sat admiring the magnificent views of Morecambe Bay,  the Kent estuary and the Langdale and Coniston fells in the Lakes.  Drawing finished, it was time to repair to Arnside for tea and excellent toasted tea cake.
Returning to the van we relaxed in the evening sun before cooking pasta bake for tea which went in the oven just as Beth and Alejandro arrived.








No comments:

Post a Comment