Sunday 9 January 2022

A Covenham Birding Walk

 As we began our walk just beyond the sailing club, I could see that most of the birds present were in the SE corner of the reservoir diagonally opposite where we were.  Not a problem as we had Jet to walk.  I had been keen to visit Covenham Reservoir as I knew that there was a great northern diver present.  Early in the walk I thought that I had seen it out in the middle, but whatever it was dived and I could never find it gain.  Possibly a cormorant or a grebe but I was sure that I could see the pale undersides and checker board back; ah well, such is life.  As we approached the gathering of birds I could see that there were large numbers of mallard with some pochard, tufted duck and wigeon amongst them, but there were also several sizeable rafts of goldeneye.  These proved reasonably cooperative and I managed a few images.  It was lovely to hear the rooks busy in the rookery by Grange Lane; I always think that this clamorous activity is a joyous harbinger of spring.  A couple of mute swans flew over and there were large flocks of coot and gulls.  On the way home I was pleased to find a fieldfare grubbing in the field close to the road, but the highlight was the very large flock of lapwing that we saw wheeling in the air near Waithe.

To view large, please click on an image.

Goldeneye
Goldeneye
Goldeneye
Goldeneye
Goldeneye
Goldeneye
Fieldfare

No comments:

Post a Comment