Thursday 10 March 2022

My First Butterfly of the Year

 Another mild day today so I decided to renew my acquaintance with the Horsefield which I have not visited for a while.  It was cloudless and mild at 14C with a pleasant south-easterly breeze.  My route took me straight through the cemetery where I noticed delicate pink herb robert in flower on an old grave. Today I bypassed the woodland burial ground making my way out through the crematorium and crossing the road to follow the farm tracks round to Peaks Tunnel, the old bridge over the Grimsby to Louth Railway, now the route of the busy Peaks Parkway road.  A flash of yellow alerted me to a yellowhammer as it flew up off the crop but otherwise things were quiet of the bird front.  Crossing over the bridge, I then busied my self taking some abstract close-ups of an old burnt out car on the Horsefield.  Moving on round the perimeter of the meadow I was delighted to both see and hear two skylark and find my first butterflies of the year: a small tortoiseshell and then a peacock.

To view large, please click on an image.







No comments:

Post a Comment