Tuesday 15 March 2022

The Full Monty on the Local Patch

It was such a beautiful day today that I decided on a full circuit of the local patch, starting in the cemetery and woodland burial ground and taking in Weelsby Woods, The Dead Wood (Carr Plantation) as well as The Horsefield (Gooseman's ); a walk of over six miles.  It was bright and clear again with a few clouds and a mild 13C.  I was absolutely delighted to find two redwings in the cemetery, my first for this year.  Making my usual way around the woodland burial ground, I was pleased to see the bullfinch pair again and to hear the familiar chiff, chiff, chaff of my first summer visitor: a chiffchaff.  A great spotted woodpecker was drumming in the woods and, although no skylark today, I was pleased to see a linnet fly up in front of me from the thick bramble hedge on the edge of The Horsefield; good to see that they, too, are return to their breeding ground.  My final bird sighting of note was a buzzard soaring over Scartho school field.  Butterflies were again forthcoming with three small tortoishells and a very tatty comma.  Spring has definitely arrived.

To view large, please click on an image.

Goat Willow
Chiffchaff
Wren
Buzzard

No comments:

Post a Comment