Tuesday 4 October 2022

Llanfndigaid, September, Day 3

As I write this today the hills are hidden by low cloud blown in from the west and rain falls incessantly.  Yesterday was just as different, warm, with sunny intervals and a warm south-westerly breeze.
We awoke yesterday to sunny skies which clouded over somewhat during the morning but cleared again to give a perfect early autumn afternoon and morning. As I walked down the lane from the Cow Shed towards Tonfanneau station the susseration of the waves reached me on the gentle breeze. Hedges and banks were developing rich autumnal colours and the brambles were laden with blackberries, a mix of bright scarlet, unripe ones and luscious black ones, ready for jams or pies. There were a surprising number of plants in flower and during the afternoon I recorded around 20 as well as an abundance of attractive seed heads, particularly sea holly on the bank above the shingle beach.  Butterflies were still on the wing: speckled wood, various whites, peacock and stunning pristine red admirals.
Crossing the footbridge over the Dysynni Estuary I turned onto the saltmarsh and walked alongside the river to where it opened out into the expanse of Broadwater, flooded on big tides. Out on the sandbanks were large numbers of gulls, cormorants with wings hung out to dry, a few swans and a small flock of curlew.  On the river were groups of goosander and some ducks which I eventually decided were eclipse wigeon.
Back at the footbridge I walked alongside the river to where it opened into slate green sea.  Here I settled down for half an hour or so of sea-watching, pleased to see a couple of guillemot and a few razorbills fly past while a small flock of puffin, minus their colourful, horny, bill extensions which are shed after the breeding season, settled briefly on the sea in front of me. In the dunes behind me, I came across a large group of parasol mushrooms, delicious to eat but only if the identification is 100% certain.
I wandered back along the lane enjoying the perfect weather and looking forward some rehydration therapy.
To view large, please click on an image.











No comments:

Post a Comment