Sunday 30 October 2022

A Perfect Morning of Birds at Cleethorpes

 On 30th I treated myself to a morning with nature at Cleethorpes/Fitties.  On a mild (15C) overcast morning I parked the car at Buck Beck and set out along Anthony's Bank towards the Fitties with a few spits of rain in the air.  Being a Sunday morning the sea front was busy with people but things became more quiet once I reached the sea bank running past the Fitties.  The harsh calls of gulls were a constant companion along with the bubbling song of curlew.  Oystercatchers were continually piping and in the background the more bass notes of brent geese.  I had caught the tide right: just on the ebb with birds withing good viewing range. It made a change to visit this section of our local coastline and the birds were differnet.  Further upriver black-tailed godwit are more common but here there are mor bar-tails.  Sanderling were present feeding frantically on the tide line and good numbers of turnstone were present among the vast numbers of knot, dunlin and oystercatcher.  I was pleased to see a single ringed plover, while out on Tetney Marsh I thrilled to the unusual call of a whimbrel.

Looking out over the estuary from Tetney Marsh.
Tetney Marsh panorama
The Fitties Beach
The Fitties Beach
The Fitties Beach
Haille Sand Fort
The Fitties Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment