Sunday 26 February 2023

Chiffchaff in the Freshney Valley

 It was a beautiful sunny morning, although with a chilly wind from the north as I parked up by Little Coates Church to walk along the Freshney Valley.  Almost the first bird I saw was noticeably different to the usual.  It reminded me of the quick furtive movements of the tiny goldcrest I have been seeing in the cemetery but when I finally picked it up with the binoculars I could see that it was a chiffchaff.  I was both surprised and delighted as it was either a very early summer migrant or, more likely, a bird that had overwintered.  Either way it eluded the camera and so I continued with my walk hoping that it would be there on my return.  I enjoyed a very pleasant hour or so of birding and especially enjoyed a glimpse of a kingfisher as it zipped along the river.

To view large please click on a thumbnail.

Cherry plum
Cherry plum
Buzzard
Chiffchaff
Coot
Cormorant
Heron
Long-Tailed Tit
Mute Swan
Willow
Willow
Woodpigeon

No comments:

Post a Comment