Monday 1 February 2021

A Walk Around the Cemetery with the Birding Lens.

 The sun was shining down from a cloudless sky as I walked around the the cemetery this morning.  Although the ground was again sodden, it felt relatively mild and birds were singing, especially blackbirds, great tits and song thrush.  That's the wise thrush; he sings each song twice over, lest you think he could never recapture the first fine careless rapture. (Robert Browning, 'Home Thoughts from Abroad', 1845).

I made my way round the outside of the cemetery, as usual, managing to photograph crow, magpie and feral pigeon.  Shortly I came across a party of about 10 redwing.  Finding them was one thing photographing them another; it was very difficult to get a clear view. 

I continued round the very wet and, once more flooded, woodland burial ground.  Robins were very cooperative here and I managed a few shots.  I saw two pairs of bullfinches but unfortunately didn't manage any photographs.  I was delighted, when I reached the alder copse, to find the small group of goldfinches that I had seen here before feeding on the cones.  Again finding them was different to photographing them

As I neared the cemetery exit I came across another song thrush singing his song twice over.  He was very high in the tree but I did manage an image.

To view large, please click on an image.

Crow
Feral Pigeon
Magpie
Redwing
Chaffinch
Robin
Robin
Goldfinch
Goldfinch
Goldfinch
Song Thrush

No comments:

Post a Comment