Thursday 21 July 2022

Butterfly Counting on the Horsefield and in the Woodland Burial ground.

 Finally the torrid temperatures of the previous few days cooled down and on 20th it only climbed to a mere 28C.  I grabbed the opportunity for a walk around the woodland burial ground and The Horsefield as I hadn't been for over three weeks.  I began in the Woodland Burial ground and then moved on into the Horsefield.  The sun was out and it was pleasantly warm in the cemetery but by the time I got to the Horsefield it had clouded over.  I was still able to count plenty of individuals  but they were not perching for photography.  It was good to be finding my first gatekeepers and ringlets of the year and I was pleased to find a mating pair of green-veined whites; I hadn't seen any at all for some time.

To view large, please click on an image.

Gatekeeper
Gatekeeper
Green-veined white
Ringlet
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment