Thursday 7 April 2016

The Lakes, April 2016. Day 2 Whitbarrow Scar

A lazy start was called for today so we enjoyed a late breakfast and pottering in the sun on the site.  Eventually, pack-up in the bags, we set of for Witherslack in the South Lakes and Whitbarrow Scar.  Being limestone this is an offshoot of the Yorkshire Dales in a way and the nature reserve on the top of the scar is good for limestone flowers and butterflies later in the year.  It was a quick, if steep, walk up onto the scar.  Just before the top we walked through beautiful silver birch woodland and then out onto the moonscape limestone plateau of the summit.  The views of the Lakes, Dales and Morecambe Bay were expansive.  The light was dramatic to say the least with black clouds scudding by as squalls swept through.  We witnessed a superb rainbow.  Ravens were calling and tumbling in the air, whilst a song thrush serenaded us both on the way up and down.  Chiffchaffs called in the woodland.  Peregrines nest on the cliffs of chapel scar here, but sadly we didn’t spot them.

As it was such a pleasant evening we went for a short local walk after tea to look at and photograph the sunset and twilight.  While out I managed to slip and fall over in a bog necessitating cleaning of my precious down jacket; the least of my problems, however!!!  As we walked back to the van I patted my pockets for the keys.  No keys.  I patted my pockets again.....and again!  Still no keys.  Heather searched her bag and pockets. Still no keys.  I patted my pockets again to no effect.  Had I left the keys in the door of the van we though????  No such luck.  By now it was raining and virtually dark.  With thoughts of a night in the toilets (which were at least warm) entered our heads as we rushed back up the hill before it was totally dark.  I couldn't even find where I had fallen never mind the keys.  Heather remaining calmer not only found the spot, but the keys as well.  Buy that lady a pint!!  Were we relieved!!  Our children were highly amused by our antics.  We think they feel we are rapidly heading for senility!!

To View Large, Please Click on an Image








































1 comment:

  1. Fabulous blog entries Mick, giving us a giggle about the keys and bringing back lots of memories of our own times in the Lakes! Thank you for livening up our bedtime!

    ReplyDelete