Monday 13 April 2020

Late Afternoon Walk in the Woodland Burial Ground.

Today has been grey and cold with a maximum temperature of only 7C and the wind straight off the sea; what a change after the last few really warm days. 

I decided quite late on to get myself out and had hoped to leave the cemetery via the crematorium and return by way of the Horsefield.  Unfortunately, due to Covid 19, the crematorium gates have been closed.  I contented myself with a double circuit of the woodland burial ground which was worth it; particularly the chiffchaff calling and I enjoyed watching a blue tit collecting nesting material.  The tame robin is still about and it very nearly jumped onto my hand - I must take some seed next time.  Oak and ash trees are now coming into leaf and quite a few new flowers are showing, especially bluebell which is most definitely early.  It was interesting to see some snakeshead fritillaries on a couple of graves and I was also interested to see some mare's tail pushing through on a grave and still an eerie cream colour.  The best find of the day, though was the specked wood that I found on the wing in the sheltered ride around the outside of the wood.


  • Robin
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Blackbird
  • Crow - bird still sitting on eggs
  • Herring Gull
  • Magpie
  • Chaffinch
  • Blue Tit - one collecting nest material
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Chiffchaff
  • Pheasant
  • Jackdaw
  • Ground Ivy
  • Hairy Bittercress
  • Groundsel
  • Hedge Garlic
  • Daisy
  • Primrose
  • Cherry Blossom
  • Violet
  • Bluebell (Spanish)
  • Cowslip
  • Mare's Tail


To see large, please click on an image.
Cherry Blossom

Cherry Blossom

Mare's Tail

Speckled Wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment