Monday 6 April 2020

My First Session with a Moth Trap

A good friend has lent me his moth trap to experiment with, so last night I set it up and left it running all night.  This morning it contained the magnificent total of three moths; not surprising as it is still early in the season.  I have also been told that moths prefer overcast or even drizzle, certainly humid, and to avoid clear starry skies as was the case last night.  After a bit of a struggle I identified my trophies as common quaker, hebrew character and earl grey moths.  What fantastic names moths have.  The next problem was to photograph them.  I have a collection of lichen covered twigs and branches which I can select from and carefully used a fine paint brush to transfer the beasts to my chose perch.  Another piece of advice I have been given is to chill the moths in the fridge for a couple of hours which causes them no harm but slows them down for photography.  It would have been helpful if I had done so as the earl grey constantly shivered its wings as the photograph shows.  I thought that it would settle down, but before I could change to a faster shutter speed, it flew off.  Ah well, we live and learn.  I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, though, and will be trying again.  It could keep me amused during this period of social isolation.
The Fuji 80mm macro lens was perfect for this job.

To view large, please click on an image.
Common quaker

Common quaker

Earl Grey

Hebrew Character

Hebrew Character

Hebrew Character

Hebrew Character

No comments:

Post a Comment