Thursday 1 April 2021

A Cold and Grey, but Productive Day on the Patch.

 What a difference a day and a week makes.  Yesterday the temperature got to 24C in Grimsby yet today's maximum has been only 8.4C; gey and with a cold NE breeze off the sea.  The last time I walked round the woodland burial ground a week or so ago, it still looked like winter with only the odd patch of blossom and occasional hawthorn in leaf; today the blackthorn is a froth of white and very pale pink and by and large the hawthorns are all in leaf.  I had heard reports of willow warbler and blackcap in the wooded section so I was on the hunt.  The cemetery ground staff were working in the woodland cemetery when I arrived and had disturbed one of the roe deer which gave good views.  I was pleased to hear both willow warbler and chiffchaff and get some photos of the willow warbler but I dipped out on the blackcap.  The highlight of the day though was to find and photograph a couple of male bullfinches feeding on the blackthorn blossom.  This was a new one on me; I knew they ate apple buds but hadn't realised they ate other blossom as well.

To view large, please click on an image.

Blackthorn blossom
Blackthorn Blossom
Bullfinch
Bullfinch
Long-Tailed Tit
Willow Warbler


No comments:

Post a Comment