Thursday 29 April 2021

Green Hairstreaks at Donna Nook

 Although dull to start the day the sky brightened as I drove south down the coast road to Donna Nook.  It was very cold, though, 0nly 9C and the biting wind off the sea made it even colder.  On the landward side of the dunes it was more sheltered, though and I soon found the green hairstreaks in the usual spot.  Only two, though although another 3 were seen elsewhare.  Even so 5 is a very low number and I wonder if the very cold spring is holding things up.  According to the met office it has been the coldest April since 1922 and we have only 25% of the rain we would normally expect.  On a brighter note I heard my first cuckoo of the year.  Once I had fill my memory card with the hairstreakes I went for a walk up to Pye's Hall where the sluice has been removed as part of the mitigation project.  There has been a lot of change since I was last here pre-covid; the big tides are obviously flooding the new marsh now and there is much standing water.  The area looks very promising.  I heard curlew and saw egrets and redshanks.

To view large, please click on an image.








No comments:

Post a Comment