Saturday 4 June 2016

France, May/June 2016. Day 16, The Vercors

A long day of travelling today, but now settled in to the excellent municipal site at Chatillon en Dois in the Vercors.  I have to say, though, yesterday finished badly when late at night holding the laptop and two external hard drives I sat down on one of our new chairs to upload the blog.  Well I should have sat down but I kept on going as the chair broke.  I did, of course, keep my equanimity if not my dignity.  Maybe an expletive or so did escape my lips I have to say.  The next morning though I was rescued by my friendly football companion who works on the site.  I have had several lengthy footballing conversations with him regarding the current football competition!!!  He is Portuguese who speaks French but no English and I have a modicum of French.  Anybody who knows me and my knowledge of football can imagine how surreal these conversations were.  Nonetheless he mended the said chair with a nut and bolt, the repair being stronger than the original.  What a man!!  We actually got a very good early start for us, but after about 10 miles had to return to the site as we received a phone call to say I had left my was bag with my eye drops in.  Bother!!!  Anyway half an hour later we started again, after which the journey went well.  The route, recommended by Google Maps and the sat nav, took us south to Montpellier and the Mediterranean and temperatures approaching 30 degrees, before heading north east through Provence bypassing such iconic names as Orange, Arles, Nimes, Aix en Provence,  Avignon and, finally, Montellimar where we picked up some nougat.  On leaving the motorway it was a relatively short drive east to first Die though the Clairette de Die vineyards and then on to Chattillion.  We are set up had a BBQ and are now heading for an early night.

No photos today, I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment